Saturday, September 22, 2012

People that Live in my Brain part 3 - Kalec

Kalec is a Hylian who showed up in Hyrule Castle Town 5-ish years ago and set up shop. Her shop sells everything from tunics and shoes to shields and weapons and all the odd trinkets and things in between. She has a reputation for being very harsh against shoplifters, and anyone who has walked in her store with the intent of stealing always has to be carried out; the odd thing is, nobody ever sees what happens to these people. Other than that, Kalec is friendly and out-going, almost to the point of annoyance, and she treats everybody she meets with respect. Her history before she came into Castle Town is a bit of a mystery, and no one really knows where she came from or why she came to Castle Town, though she hints at following a certain special someone here.
She has the height and look of an average Hylian, though her body build is much leaner and fit than most of the other shopkeepers in Castle Town. Her eyes are a stormy grey with a hint of blue, and the color of her shoulder-blade-length hair lies halfway between that of straw and a ripe orange. She tends to wear (and sell) the latest fashions from all over the kingdom, and is well known for being fair with her prices.
Kalec is fascinated with Hyrule's history, particularly any stories that have to do with the Triforce Bearers. She can tell you any trivia you care to ask about, and some you never even wanted to know.
[character description for 'Pillars of Eternity']

---


Silence.
                “So… you’re Impa’s older brother?”
                “Yes.”
                Silence.
                “And you’re a priest?”
                “Priest-in-training.”
                Silence.
                “You’re a Sheikah too.”
                “Obviously.”
                Silence.
                “I’ve never heard of a Sheikah priest before.”
                “I’d be surprised if you did.  Most Sheikah are guards, always hidden among the people.”
                “Hidden?”
                “Yes.”
                Silence.
                “What do you mean by hidden?”
                “Do you ever shut up?”  Kalec threw a glare at Link.  “I don’t talk because I’m trying to listen.  Didn’t my sister teach you that?”
                Link returned a glare of his own.  “Yes, but we hadn’t gotten around to the stealthy ninja lessons yet.”
                Kalec sighed.  “And she leaves me to fill the gaps in your education.”  He glanced back at the Hylian.  “Listen up then, Hero.  You want me to talk, so I will.”
                He adjusted the pack on his shoulders and turned around so that he was walking backwards.  “One of the first things that Sheikah children learn is to listen to their surroundings.”
                Link nodded.  Impa had taught him that.
                Kalec took a long step backwards, stepping over a rock in his path.  “If you always listen, and are always aware, that will make it hard for enemies to ambush you.”  He stepped to the side, around a stick lying in the path.  “Being aware in battle is a good thing, yes, but try to extend that attention to the time outside of fights.”  He turned back around so that he was walking forward again.
                Silence.
 [excerpt from "the Hero of Time"]

---

I know I had a list going, and I'm breaking from said list.  BECAUSE WHY DO THINGS IN ORDER HAHAHAHAHA.
*ahem*

Ah, Kalec.  Such a fun, interesting character.  She's yet another rp-character-turned-story-character.  My first idea for her was for a Legend of Zelda campaign, and I had to do some serious talking to convince the GM to let me play a Sheikah.  BECAUSE NINJAS.  And then, that awesome ninja secret (because the Sheikah were forgotten about, but still around, hiding among the people) only lasted until about the 2nd session.  Ha.

She originally started as a he.  Kalec was going to be my challenge:  my first rogue character, and my first male character (to roleplay.  I have plenty of male characters in my stories and such).  But then we had a pre-campaign meeting with the group, and I found out that not only was I the only female player, but no one else was playing a female.  So, naturally, Kalec changed genders and became a female.  It worked out in the end somehow...  oh, the shipping...  (and that's ALL I'm going to say about that.  XD).

Kalec was my first experimentation in a roleplaying class other than a spellcaster, and I have fallen in love with the rogue-y/ninja type ever since (hee).  This campaign, "Pillars of Eternity," became one of my very favorites; we had an amazing group that worked well together, and it was just so much fun.  Looking back, I think it would've been more epic to build her as an actual ninja, as opposed to a rogue and then playing her ninja-like, but it was still so much fun.  :)


When the campaign was done, Kalec appeared in my Legend of Zelda fanfic as a male Sheikah, Impa's older brother.  (Several of the characters from Pillars of Eternity have appeared, and will appear there too, heehee.)  This fic is based off the (bogus) trailer for a Legend of Zelda movie put out by IGN (video here)--basically the Ocarina of Time storyline, but reversed, in a way.  Kalec is Impa's older brother, a priest-in-training for the Temple of Time, and Link's guide in the past.  I'm still in the process of writing this, but I know where it's going and what's going to happen... I just need to find the time to continue writing...  >.>

As a note, Kalec is one of a couple of my characters that exists in multiple universes, but Kalec is the only one that isn't the same gender in each of those universes.And I put the character description in for her from PoE instead of a quote or something, because very few parts of this campaign were written down (and the ones that were are buried in a thread on Quark that I didn't feel like digging through), but it's still something for you to get to know her.  :)


Some further information for those who are interested in the Zelda universe:

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Pillars of Eternity. I kind of wish I'd gotten in on it earlier, but I think it worked well with Iolar showing up later. (Is he going to be in your fanfic, too? :D )

    Didn't know about the whole gender-swapping thing with Kalec. That is rather amusing.

    And yes, you've started having far too much fun with rogues since then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rogues are EPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIC

      and yes, everyone in the campaign will show up in my fic one way or another... including Matt Baker, i think... XD

      Delete
    2. Oh, Matt Baker. :D

      I went and read what you have so far. It was funny to see how Ranls got stuck in. I'll have to keep an eye on it so I'll know when glowy eagles get involved. ;)

      Delete